Vegetarian or Vegan Plant Based Lasagna
Recipe by Michelle Harris
Course: Main Meal
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
So about a month ago Ryan and I were craving something a little different, something we don’t really eat because we avoid some grains and dairy most of the time and most of the time I fins people thrive this way. Lasagna is one of those foods that usually gets the kick when you’re watching those foods. However, I come up with a pretty easy, yum and adaptable recipe that can suit a variety of family’s nutritional needs. After all, our nutritional requirements and preferences vary from person to person. And it was such a hit for the whole family I’ve made it multiple times each trialing different options to help you find the best fit!
I have a few options here that I’ve trialed
- Primal Alternative No nut wraps (grain free paleo option)
- Mountain Bread Spelt wraps (probably my favourite as they are quite lite..) Tip: Use two per layer
- GF pasta sheets (my husbands favourite, I have found some organic Spelt flour ones in our local Organic store, but you can find lots of alternatives.
- Zuchinni slices yum! (best to dry in oven for 20 mins to remove moisture) Grain free and Vegan
If Dairy free I’ve been using this cashew cheese recipe! It’s actually really good, recipe below
Dairy – I would suggest an organic/biodynamic cheese, go for high quality if you eat it and tolerate it (Paris creek for example) I find you really don’t need much, just a little on the top and perhaps on one of the middle layers.
Vego lasagna mix
- 2 carrots finely cubed
- 2 zucchini finely cubed
- 1 onion
- 1/2 bag brown mushrooms finely cubed
- 1 organic white potato finely cubed
- Nice big handfull of spinach
- 1/2-1 cup lentils (rinsed and soaked to improve digestibility) (I like to use a cup to make it filling) I prefer the organic split red lentils, but have tried this with green and black also!
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5 Tbsp warm water or almond milk
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil or light flavored olive oil
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3-4 fresh tomatoes blended
- Short on time?, 1 tin of organic tomatoes BPA free
- 1/2 bunch basil
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
Vego Lasagne Mix
- Fry the onions off for a few minutes
- Add the carrots, potato, zucchini and mushrooms
- Continue to cook on medium heat for 5-10 mins
- Add the lentils and water (1 cup lentils = 2 cups water, I go by feel)
- Bring to boil and let it simmer to most of the water has gone.
- Blend all three together. Easy!
- Place all ingredients in a small-medium high speed blender and blend until very smooth and creamy.
Putting it together
- Start with the vego mix
- Add choice of cheese, a thin layer of tomato sauce and the lasagna sheet option of choice
- Repeat and finish with a second layer of lasagna sheet, tomato on top and cheese topping of choice.
- Bake on 180 for about 40minutes.
This is a good one for those who sometimes like to do a ‘Meat free Monday’
It is actually very easy, I always double the recipe so there are leftovers to enjoy!