Egg and Nut Free Chocolate Brownies
Recipe by Michelle Harris
Course: Healthy Snack
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Looking for a healthy sugar free chocolate treat?
I experimented and made these Chocolate brownies that I found on the net – the secret ingredient is zucchini! I was playing around to see if I could find a ‘nut free’ and ‘egg free’ version for those with intolerances.
They are yum!
No sugar either, so these would suit any of you following my modified keto program or wanting a lower carb option.
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour
- A big pinch or two of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- Stevia or your preferred sweetener, to taste
- 3/4 cup sunflower seed butter (I actually didn’t have this so once I used tahini but I also substituted coconut cream which worked fine too!)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup zucchini, grated (I actually made this with double zucchini which turned out great too and went further)
- 1 Tbsp gelatine mixed into 2 Tbsp water (set aside to bloom) Changing habits (available online is best) if you don’t have leave it out it’ll still work.
- 4-6 dessert spoons of Metagenics Collagen Protein Powder
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a square slice tin with baking paper.
- Sift the cacao powder and coconut flour into a bowl.
- Add the vanilla, salt and baking powder into the flour mixture.
- Add the apple cider vinegar on top of the baking powder and allow it to react and fizz up.
- Add the boiling water to the bloomed gelatine and stir to dissolve.
- Add all the ingredients to the flour mixture and combine evenly.
- If you are adding in stevia or your preferred sweetener, do this now and taste along the way until you reach your desired sweetness.
- Scoop the thick mixture into the pre-prepared tin and spread it out evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. The time will depend on your oven. But you still want the brownie to be a little soft so it goes fudgey once it’s in the fridge. My oven took about 50mins-1hour.
- Remove it and allow it to cool. Place in the fridge to set and go ‘fudgey’.
- When it’s ready, slice into squares and enjoy.
The secret is to put them in the fridge before cutting and let them cool before eating. Nice and fudgey that way!
Let me know what you think.