Banana or Beetroot Paleo Cupcakes
Recipe by Michelle Harris
Course: Healthy Snack
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Nut Free, Dairy Free, GF, Refined Sugar free ❤️
I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen today. Baking is a bit of a hobby to me so I get excited when I get the time to have a play! My pop gave me some home grown organic beetroots when I was in Loxton last week and you know me of course I was pretty excited, so these went into my cupcakes!
I used a recipe I had created with Paleo banana muffins and subbed the banana for two whole beetroots! I’m quite happy! I think I may have been a little too excited with the beetroot though 😆.
I’ve had a few requests lately for recipes the kids could enjoy and take to school (maybe schools are nut free now) and I was actually keen to do some paleo style baking without almond meal for once as it seems to be a go to in recipes. So this one used a mix of coconut flour and tapioca/cassava flour.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
(Or if not needing nut free sub the 2 above for 1.5 cups of almond flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- Tip The floors tend work better if sifted
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey 🍯
- 1 tbsp olive/coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut milk full fat
- 2 whole beets large grated OR 3 whole ripe mashed bananas
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I usually cut up some loving earth or pana chocolate which is vegan based and delish)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees
- Mix all the wet ingredients together with an electric beater
- Add the dry ingredients (mixed) and beat together
- Add the banana or beetroot and blend
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Enjoy alone, with some coconut yoghurt or cashew cream cheese topping 🙏🏽💓
Love to know what you think and how you go!