A couple of months ago when I was in my first Trimester, the morning sickness, food aversions etc were running quite high for me. I used to like eating the same things if I found they worked for me, but all of a sudden I had to find new things to eat and change the options quite frequently as I got sick of things quickly.
Anyway… I was working one day and literally (not like me) didn’t get around to making my lunch, so I called past Let them Eat who make clean yummy food. I got inspired from a couple vegetarian patties I had (no idea what was in them) but thought I’d come up with something myself.
These patties have been great and I really just guessed ingredients and amounts. To be sure I was still getting proteins, this patty combines the quiona, blackbeans and eggs (eggs optional, I found they worked without too). Additionally, these actually taste even better leftover the next day which I love, as I make a batch and have lunch or a side to dinner for the week.
I also found if I cooked and cooled the potato before combining them they seemed to hold their shape better when cooking.
Give them a try!
(I always prefer organic where possible)
- 2 medium sweet potato steamed and mashed
- 1 bunch spring onions finely chopped
- 2 cans organic black beans (look for BPA free also)
- 2-3 tbsp of coconut flour or whatever you need to help it all bind. Coconut flour absorbs more liquid
- Eggs 4-6
- 2-3 medium zuchinni grated (You could also squeeze some of the juice out if you have a particularly juicy one).
- Coconut or olive oil for shallow frying
- Chop, steam and mash sweet potatoes (can get this ready the day before)
- Grate zuchinni’s
- Finely chop spring onions
- Mix all well together
- Add drained and rinsed blackbeans, and eggs and mix well
- Add coconut flour, salt and pepper
- Heat a small amount on oil in the pan and cook patties.